September 20, 2011
Gears of War 3 takes place right after the events of Gears of War 2 where the city of Jacinto was flooded in order to stop the locust. This however did not work and the locust have come back along with a new enemy the lambent. The lambent are essentially mutated locust and are more powerful than the current locust breed. The COG are at their last stand, humanity is at the brink of extinction and you must fight to save what is left.
The single player campaign picks up after the events in Gears of War 2. It seems that humanity is on the verge of extinction and the lambent, a new foe, is taking over. Near the end of Gears of War 2 we found that the locust were fighting the lambent, and that the locust were also planning on flooding Jacinto in oder to stop the lambent. However, both the locust and the lambent reached the surface and neither were killed off entirely. Marcus and the crew will return along with Anya, and every member will be needed to fight off the locust invasion. The campaign will feature up to 4 person co-op, and this will be the final game in the series.
Horde and Beast Mode
Horder mode has been completely revamped for Gears of War 3. Players will now start by purchasing a base where they will spawn from. They can buy and build defenses around their base like barriers and turrets and players can even purchase a Silverback Mech. Players can also get perks. Every 10th wave there will be a boss. These bosses range from Berserkers to Brumaks. Players can also pick up the cleaver that the Butcher drops. Horde Mode 2.0 is set to take the survival co-op mode to the next level.
Beast mode is a new survival type mode. You play as the locust this time and can choose different types of locust to attack the COG. Enemies as big as the berserker can be played but there is a cool down time between uses. Other players can play as the COG in an online match.
Gears of War 3 multiplayer has been completely revamped. There are now dedicated servers and host migration, which means faster matchmaking and no falling out of matches. As in the past two games you will be able to play split-screen online with a friend.
New modes like team deathmatch, which has a slight twist being that when players die lives are taken out of a pool so when there are zero lives left it is up to the remaining players on the team to win. Capture the leader has also been changed with a leader on each team. The goal is to capture the enemy leader for the set time usually 30 seconds.
New weapons have also found there way into multiplayer such as:
– the retro lancer, which has a bayonet instead of a chainsaw allowing you to charge and impale other players
– the sawed off shotgun, which has a wide spray but very limited range and a long reload
– the digger launcher, which fires a locust that digs through the ground and pops up when it reaches an enemy and explodes
– the one shot, which is a heavy weapon capable of turning an enemy into a red mist with one shot
Multiplayer Customization Features
– Players will be able to choose from a variety of weapon skins such as flame, which has actual animated fire on the gun, urban, and a gears logo to name a few
– Players will be able to unlock and play as new characters, some from the COG are Baird and Augustus Cole